RE: filmscanners: Using Vuescan to scan prints

At 6:07 PM -0500 2/16/01, Edwin Eleazer wrote:
>The improvement over the HP software was so amazing
>in terms of results, that I now have a whole new respect for the potential
>of this particular flatbed, scans from prints are often amazing in the level
>of detail.

        Edwin, I'm with you and Stuart. I have an ancient (3.5 year
old) Epson Expression 636 with transparency adapter. Part of my job
involves scanning electron microscope negatives (about 3x4 inches),
which was dodgy at best with the Epson TWAIN software. As soon as Ed
made VueScan work with Epson flatbeds (back in October), I tried it.
There were a couple of problems at first with the transparency
adapter, but a couple of quick e-mails to Ed resulted in a fix in
less than 2 hours (version 6.3.4, I think <g>). The difference was
remarkable - the scanner is still limited by its low dynamic range,
but any decently exposed negative scans beautifully. I also use it
for reflective objects (like Profiler RGB charts) and it shines there
, too.

Regards,
Roger Smith

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.