RE: filmscanners: File format

I think there are some myths about jpg. tif. psd. and high quality printing
pictures.
We   (printing company, myself and a medical company picture bank)
have done  tests about saving pictures that later can used to print out on
high glossy paper.
All files are scanned in 350 ppi
We compared  a tif file and a jpg file in level 7  (  Photoshop 5.0)
Proof printing   2 picture.
No one could se any difference in the 2 pictures in colors. A closer look
with magnifier glasses shows some differences in a  small text.
We took the same jpg file and resaving it up to 5 times. We looked at each
step and where suppriced of the small changes of colors in the picture.
Example:
A well known medical newspaper printed on high glossy paper wants their
pictures files in Jpg  level 5 .!!!!!!They must also have done some test
there jpg.5 level seems to suite there needs.

Conclusion:
This must means? that we photographers are "over do it "  when we are
delivering  pictures in big tif or psd files.

Mikael Risedal
Lund
Sweden