From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of
david_bookbinder@sprynet.com
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 9:54 AM
To: cdober@ev1.net
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: CD Labeling and alcohol

At the risk of beating a dead horse, just for kicks I filled a the
cheapest CD-R I had (a Kensiko) with data, made a copy of the CD, then
scribbled on the first CD with three Sharpie markers. I covered the top
third with a Liquid Sharpie, the bottom third with a Fine Point Sharpie,
and the middle third with an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie. I covered these
surfaces three times, scribbling horizontally, vertically, and at a 45%
angle.  Then I let the inks dry for several minutes and compared the two
CDs. There were no detectable errors on the "Sharpied" CD-R.

I can believe that using archival envelopes is about as safe a way of
preserving CDs as there is, but I don't know where the notion, as noted
below, that the "alcohol eats its way through the plastic and attacks
the metal" comes from. No lacquer I have ever encountered is soluable in
alcohol. As another test, I soaked a pad with isopropal alcohol, pressed
it to the lacquered surface of a CD-R with a metal plate, covered the
whole thing with a cereal bowl to delay evaporation, and left it
overnight. The next morning, there was no visible evidence, under a
loupe, that the alcohol had done anything at all to the lacquer coating
of the CD. A brisk rubbing of the alcohol-covered surface revealed no
softness or stickiness, either.

I will continue to repeat the comparison of the "Sharpied" CD and the
copy over time, to see if there is some insidious effect that the
long-evaporated alcohol has on the lacquer or the underlying metallic
coating. But I am hard-pressed to see how an alcohol-based pen like the
Sharpie, whose volatile compounds evaporate in seconds, could ever
damage a CD. Has anyone ever done any actual testing of this theory, and
if so could you point me to the documentation?

Thanks,
David