[filmscanners] Re: Flatbed vs film scanner

Thomas Maugham wrote:
> There seem to be many flatbed scanners on the market that offer very high
> resolution, in the 4000dpi range.  The Epson Perfection 4180 is
> representative.  Can anyone offer an opinion as to how well they scan 35mm
> slides and negs versus dedicated film scanners?
>
> TIA,
>
> Tom

Dear Tom,

I own both the Epson Perfection 4180 and the Nikon CoolScan IV.  In
terms of quality, the Epson cannot really compare with the CoolScan.
However, being able to scan 12 frames at a time makes the Epson really
convenient.  I also find EpsonScan to be easier to use, and better
thought-out than NikonScan, although the latter appears to have more
"professional features" - many of which, I've yet to learn.

I bought the 4180 to scan some 120 stuff, and it's relatively
inexpensive.  However, I am now considering using it for casual scanning
- e.g. for-web photos, and keeping the CoolScan for the "serious" stuff.

If you want, I can send you samples from each of the scanners.

Yours sincerely,

Francis.